May 3, 2010

SG Wannabe & Simon and Garfunkel

SG Wannabe is a Korean male singing group composed of three vocalists. Generally, their musical skills are recognized by many people. However, today, I wanted to point out something a bit different. Did you know that the SG of SG Wannabe represents Simon and Garfunkel? Yes, SG Wannabe is actually Simon and Garfunkel Wannabe. When I first heard this, I was very surprised because SG Wannabe and Simon and Garfunkel's singing styles are very different. While Simon and Garfunkel's music is very soft, with delicate harmonies, SG Wannabe has a slightly "thicker" sound. They tend to "shout" a little more. I couldn't see how SG Wannabe was SG Wannabe when they are not like SG or trying to be like them in any way.
HOWEVER!!!!
I was listening to the radio when I heard a song by SG Wannabe. It was called "I Love You." Suddenly, I heard a melody with definite reference to Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer." It was impossible to miss. Suddenly, I saw the connection between SG Wannabe and Simon and Garfunkel. SG Wannabe must have borrowed the theme for their music.
Although it was the same theme, the mood the two songs gave our were completely different. I do not mean to say that one is better than the other. The style is simply different.
My favorite version is the one by Simon and Garfunkel. In my opinion, SG Wannabe K-pop-ized "The Boxer" too much.
Below are both Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer" and SG Wannabe's "I Love You." Do you hear what I hear? Which version do you prefer?

FYI: The lyrics have different meanings and it isn't the entire song that's similar, just the chorus. Still, it's pretty interesting.






You might want to pay close attention to 1:35.

As a bonus, here is SG Wannabe's version of "The Boxer" during one of their performances. The sound and singing quality is not what I would have liked, but it's worth trying out.


No comments:

Post a Comment