May 2, 2010

Kimi ni Todoke Review

My friend and I live near by. Between our houses lies a very small book room. Here you can borrow books or just sit down in the corner and read a few books. I borrowed comic books from here once in a while. So did my friend.

A few days ago, I was bored. You know those days when you have a lot of things to do, but you don't want to do anything other than roll around, watch a movie, grab a snack, or the like. I suddenly remembered that my friend told me that she read a good manga from that book room. It was called Kimi ni Todoke. I found that manga on the internet and started reading it.

Honestly, I didn't like it in the beginning. It was a very typical Japanese manga. There is a shy girl and a popular guy. The events that happen are very typical of events that ALWAYS happen in other Japanese or Korean manga. However, as I didn't feel like doing anything else, I kept reading (sort of like how you can watch tv for hours even when nothing interesting is on).
As a kept reading, the story became a bit better. After a while, you get closer to the characters and can enjoy various happenings more. That's what happened. I caught myself laughing, smiling, and getting annoyed at some parts. Because this series is not completed yet, I ended up reading up until the last uploaded episode.

What I liked about the manga: It wasn't too complicated and good for easy-reading for times when you want hear a entertaining story, but don't want to think too much. The drawings were also pretty enough. Each character had a look that matched their character and didn't look too awkward.

What I didn't like: The story was very obvious, predictable, cliche. The story kept dragging on and on. It took over 40 chapters for the main characters to finally realize their feelings for one another. Dragging things out can drive the audience nuts.

I don't believe reading comic books is a waste of time. Anything that you read, anything that you see and think seem to come in handy sometime in the end. However, I could have spent my time more wisely and done something more productive. I had fun though and I think it is very important to have a fun and happy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment